A More Perfect Union - Quote of the Week

"If I am shot at, I want no man to be in the way of the bullet."

-Andrew Johnson

Friday, August 24, 2007

Smokefree DC

On a recent trip to Monticello, two friends and I sat in a college restaurant “full of charm” right behind UVA’s rotunda. Almost as soon as our food arrived, a lady not more than 8 yards away lit up.

“Who’s smoking???” I asked incredulously, inflecting my voice to just the right pitch to sound slightly exasperated. Who smokes in a restaurant anymore? Is that even allowed? Is it too much to ask for a decent meal sans pernicious fumes creeping into my lungs and adulterating any sense of taste?

“We’re in Virginia. You’re allowed to smoke,” said Crystal in a voice as matter-of-fact as if she were NPR’s Melissa Block recounting today’s death toll in Iraq. Great. One more reason to add to my “Why Virginia is Indeed Part of The South” list.

Lucky for Washingtonians, the DC smoking ban took effect last year for restaurants and this year for bars. That means no more itchy, red eyes; no more smoke induced headaches; no more dousing clothes with Febreze; no more showers at the end of a night out. What it does mean, however, is that you often have walk through a gateway of sidewalk smokers to enter establishments. I can handle that.

For those of you with a hankering to puff on a fag (sorry, I couldn't resist), you can thank Virginia for being behind on the times and head down to Freddy's Beach Bar. This smoke-filled joint will be sure to satiate your nicotine cravings, as well as any unfulfilled yearnings for neon, cardboard cut-out palm trees, and kitsch. Oh, not to forget, Freddie's Follies Drag Show starts at 9:00 pm on Sundays.

No comments: