A More Perfect Union - Quote of the Week

"If I am shot at, I want no man to be in the way of the bullet."

-Andrew Johnson

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Ben's Chili Bowl

So after a night of pathetic bar hopping, my friends and I were hungry, but wanted something a little different from the typical. So the question is where to go… Something spicy, something exciting but low-key and something cheap. So the verdict “Ben’s Chili Bowl.” Ben’s Chili Bowl is famous. It is a major hotspot for famous people with photo’s all over of celebrities including Bill Cosby and Miles Davis. It is historically famous being one of the oldest restaurants in the city…and also for having survived and stayed open during the riots.


I’d never been before so I got the famous Chili Dog and Chili Cheese Fries. They were good. Wasn’t great, just good. It was very spicy, so if you don’t like spice you DON’T want this. Food is pretty cheap and the atmosphere is great. I would recommend going if for nothing else than the historical aspect and the atmosphere. However, I would not necessarily recommend going at 2 in the morning. It isn’t the lightest of food so it can be a lot to sit in your stomach that late at night.

1 comment:

ljt said...

This is a place you want to love. Like many longstanding eateries in DC, it is revered for nostalgia and history more then its food. Or so I'm told. I have yet to sink my teeth into Ben's Famous Chili Dog.