A More Perfect Union - Quote of the Week

"If I am shot at, I want no man to be in the way of the bullet."

-Andrew Johnson

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Mr. P's

Q: "I've heard of a famous gay bar called 'Mr. P's' - do you know where it is and can you tell us about it?"
-Peter Brown from Albuquerque

A: Mr. P's/The Loft was located at 2147 P Street, NW near Dupont Circle. Yes, you read correctly..."was." It closed in December 2003. Perhaps it was made famous by the scandal that ensued when John Paulk, the posterboy of the ex-gay movement, walked in to "visit the restroom." His 40 minute stay almost cost him his job as North American director of Exodus International. That was September 2000.

I'm not sure why Mr.P's closed or what it was like, as it was before my time. Any DC locals out there who know more?

No comments: