A More Perfect Union - Quote of the Week

"If I am shot at, I want no man to be in the way of the bullet."

-Andrew Johnson

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Rats with Bushy Tails

Standing at the lectern, the summer intern extolled DC's lush parks. He was astonished that such a large city was so green, that nature wove itself seamlessly between brick, concrete and asphalt. Though I have no recollection what this had to do with his testimony, I can't forget his expression of delight when he said, "I was walking in a park near Union Station on my way to work, and there were even squirrels roaming around!"

Carolyn turned to me and said, "Those aren't squirrels. Those are rats with bushy tails!"

It was a standing joke. Sadly, it rings with truth, though my friend Ruth might disagree. She defends the bushy things as separate and distinct from the less-beloved rodents that scurry through the alleys in search of food at night.

DC's squirrels are everywhere, and they're accustomed to humans. Please don't feed. And above all, don't let their velutinous frock fool you: these cheeky creatures are not afraid to charge, so beware!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, you're covering everything!