A More Perfect Union - Quote of the Week

"If I am shot at, I want no man to be in the way of the bullet."

-Andrew Johnson

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Metro! Metro! Metro!

Today seemed particularly difficult driving up Wisconsin Avenue to get to work. It was like picking the slowest line at the grocery store; I was always in the wrong lane. Traffic was heavy, and not minding oncoming vehicles, cars and pedestrians alike jumped out of nowhere to turn or cross the street.

Notwithstanding, I made it to work in decent time and in one piece. I parked and walked the length of the lot when I heard a shrill woman’s voice shout from an open car window, “I’m stuck in traffic and not sure where I am, so STOP BUGGING ME!!!” Her voice ricocheted off the buildings. She saw me, looked embarrassed, and hung up her cell. I wanted to shout out with an empathetic, “I hear ya!”, perhaps even while thumping my chest twice and extending a peace sign.

DC is a very drivable city. While I find motorists generally polite, there are a few tendencies (e.g. running red lights, blocking intersections) that at times make a person want to join in the frustrated, lost lady’s clamor, only with the addition of a few expletives.

For those of you traveling here in the fall, I recommend riding the Metro. Use it. Cherish it. Be thankful for what it is, and complain, if you want, of what it is not. It’s easy to comprehend and relatively inexpensive. Fares one way during rush-hour cost the most, typically less than $3.00, or you can purchase day passes.

If you are thinking of renting a car, you may want to reconsider. Refuse to metro? Taxi fare from DCA will put you back $18 plus tip. Save yourself the headache of driving and paying for parking.

I’m done. I’ll stop bugging you now.

No comments: