A More Perfect Union - Quote of the Week

"If I am shot at, I want no man to be in the way of the bullet."

-Andrew Johnson

Monday, September 24, 2007

Favorite Building

Washington National Cathedral
(Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul)
Massachusetts & Wisconsin Avenues, NW

1906-1907 Goerge Frederick Bodley
1907-1917 Henry Vaughan; Arthur B. Heaton, superintending architect
1920-1942 E. Donald Robb
1920-1944 Harry B. Little
1971-1973 James E. Godwin, superintending architect
1973-1981 Howard B. Trevillian, Jr., superintending architect
1981-1990 Anthony L. Segreti, superintending architect
1981-1993 Robert Calhoun Smith, superintending architect
1989 EDAW Inc., landscape architects, west front


I'm often asked, "What is your favorite building in DC?" Honestly, I don't know. Do I have to have a favorite? Many think that as an architect I would, and perhaps I should have something handy to say when others inquire.

It's not the subject matter. I simply don't have a lot of favorites. Period. I appreciate many things based on their own merit, not as a comparison. The Library of Congress is beautiful and worthy of a tour. The columns and space of the National Building Museum leave no doubt why this is a favorite Washingtonian space, fit for inaugural balls. I love the history behind this former pension building: the stairs were designed to allow wounded war veterans to ascend them while riding a horse! I have yet to pass the threshold of the Finnish Embassy, but it's green architecture has an aesthetic appeal that even the most rednecked appreciate. These are all relatively grand, public spaces. There are many more humble buildings that could go on my list of laudable structures.

Though I struggle to answer the all too frequent question, I do have a few non-architect friends who immediately respond with, "The National Cathedral."

As the sixth largest cathedral in the world, it is certainly impressive. I love singing in its cavernous space. Your voice reverberates 6-7 seconds long after you've stopped, which makes for muddy but rather enveloping acoustics.

This building is also worthy of a tour. Besides amazing stone- and woodwork, here are some other fun facts:

-Helen Keller's ashes have been interred here
-A stained glass window incorporates a moon stone
-One if the grotesques is formed in the likeness of Darth Vader

I pass this edifice at least twice a day, to and from work. I'm grateful to live near it. I'm grateful to sing in it on a regular basis. You be the judge for yourself; you might discover it's your favorite.

No comments: